Monthly General Meeting
The next Monthly General Meeting will be on November 25, 2017 starting at 7:00 p.m. at the Winston Heights Community Centre, 520 27th Avenue NE, Calgary. The meeting is open to everyone who has an interest in Jamaican culture and who wants to contribute to the community. This meeting will focus on our plans for 2018 and upcoming events. All are welcome.
Upcoming Caribbean Events …
- Barbados Canadian Association Calgary Independence Dinner and Dance – November 18
- JCAA New Years Eve Gala – December 31, 2017 – buy tickets online now
….. let’s get out and have a great time
New Program – Journey
We have launched our new video series, Journey, where Jamaicans share their experiences as they moved from life in Jamaica to life in Calgary. Please share these videos with your friends and family planning to move to Calgary and we ask that you subscribe to our YouTube channel for more episodes of Journey.
JCAA Business Partners 2017
- Iconic salon
- Julzz Creation
- Griffiths Insurance and Financial Services
- Natty’s Heritage Wholesale
- Caribbean Choice Foods
- Lloyd’s Patty Plus
- Affordable Plumbing
Show your membership card and inquire about the discounts you get. Conditions apply.
Monthly General Meeting - November
Join us for our monthly general meeting. The meeting is open to the public both Jamaicans and anyone who is interested in what our association does.
Meeting is at 7:00 p.m. at the Winston Heights Community Centre, 520 27th Avenue NE, Calgary.
This meeting will focus on
- Our Operating Plan for 2018
- Upcoming events – New Years Eve Gala, Taste of Jamaica, etc.
- New programs
We look forward to having you at our meeting.
New Year's Eve Gala 2017
Come ring in the new year in a warm, Jamaican atmosphere. Great food, great music and nuff vibes. Bring your partner and make it a night to remember. Fun is guaranteed!!! Prizes and surprises!
When: December 31, 2017
Where: Executive Royal Hotel
Time: Cocktails at 7:00 p.m. Dinner at 8:00 p.m. Dancing to 2:00 a.m
Dress code: Formal
Menu includes Jamaican rice and peas, Jerk chicken, Roast beef, vegetable medley, assorted desserts plus wine choices with dinner.
Music by Eclipse Sounds with Mike and crew – great reggae and soca music to keep the legs moving and the vibes at a memorable level!!
There will be party favors and champagne at midnight. Special door prizes and lots more.
Take the elevator home
For your safety and comfort, book a room at the Executive Royal hotel for a special low rate of $89 + tax. This is the best rate you’ll get at any hotel in Calgary on New Year’s Eve. Make reservations directly with the Executive Royal and mention the JCAA New Year’s Eve Gala.
Get to Know Us
The Jamaican Canadian Association Alberta (JCAA) was formed in 1980 out of a need to share the Jamaican culture with the wider Calgary community. In November 1982 the association was registered as an incorporated non-profit organization under the Alberta Societies Act.
Since its inception, the JCAA initiated and/or supported several community events within and outside of the City of Calgary. We have also supported numerous activities and initiative in Jamaica. The JCAA has been an integral part of the Caribbean Community Council (CCC) the hosts of the annual Carifest and most recently the Caribbean Heritage Sports Council (CHSC) sports day. We have also been involved in supporting other major cultural festivals including Globalfest and Reggaefest. We see ourselves as an important part of the diversity fabric in our city.
Learn more about our organization by reading more about our rules, plans and recent achievements:
There are four (4) types of membership options available with the JCAA – Family, Individual, Student and Senior. Membership is renewable on an annual basis. Membership fees are:
Benefits to being a member of JCAA
- Social events
- Member discounts
- Business opportunities
Apply By Mail
Print the JCAA Application Form and mail to:
Jamaican Canadian Association Alberta
P.O. Box 22264
Calgary, AB, T2P 4K1
Or Apply Online
- Please complete the all required fields.
- Click below to pay online or mail payment (cheque or money order only)
- Payment should be made to Jamaican Canadian Association Alberta.
- Once approved, your membership card (s) will be mailed to you.
- To provide social interaction among members and facilitate desirable relations with the community at large
- To advocate and represent our Jamaican community on public matters which affect their welfare, integration and development
- To respond to diverse social needs
- To provide leadership and opportunities to enhance the economic and cultural integration within the Canadian society
- To provide social interaction among our members and the community through hosting and participating in various sporting events
To fulfill our objectives we create operating plans each year. These operating plans are aligned to our strategic plan 2016-2021.